Total Pageviews

Monday, November 21, 2011

WHAT IS YOUR GREATEST ASSEST?

Before you attempt to answer this question, know the difference between an asset and a liability. An asset is something that is expected to increase in value overtime also known as an investment. A liability requires input from resources and it gains no value or it decreases in value overtime. The first time I was ever asked this question, instantly I began thinking about material gain. My brain went directly to what is the most expensive thing that I own....and so my response was...my house! My financial adviser gave me a speed course on Assets 101. What I had perceived to be my GREATEST asset was actually secondary to the only asset that could have aquired that one. Hmmmm....wondering what I am getting at? Well, he told me that my GREATEST assets are like the holy trinity (three in one) Me, Myself, and I!
He explained that I am the only person in control of how much I can earn! My physical and mental health dictate the decisions I make to increase my revenue. For example, as long as I am healthy and can work, I can choose a lucrative profession, then negotiate annually for a raise, a higher position or I can look for a new job all together if there are no opportunities for upward mobility. If what I plan to do requires physical endurance and I am not healthy, no one will hire me. If I don't have the education, skills or training to use my mental capacities, again I will not have a job or know how to work for myself.

So the next time someone asks you what your greatest asset is...I hope you will remember that ......YOU ARE!

1 comment:

  1. Simple, but easily overlooked. We definitely need to be reminded from time to time...Thanks Kam!

    ReplyDelete